Monday, October 15, 2007

Should I rip it out?


L1020506.JPG, originally uploaded by knitwitmama.

See this shawl? I started this in the summer using some yarn I had spun last summer and a pattern from my knitting calendar for a travel cozy. I quickly ran out of my handspun yarn and I bought some merino and some mohair in similar colors to continue knitting. I am not liking how the whole thing is looking though. The pattern starts at the neck and establishes increases as it goes over the shoulders, and it looked a lot more lacy in the photo. I put it away for a couple of months, actually it sat in a basket near my spinning wheel looking at me. Asking me to work on it, but I have just not been inspired. I love the colors, and the feel of the yarn, but I just can't get into how it is shaping up. So this weekend for some reason I grabbed it when I went to spend the weekend with a friend who is recovering from surgery. We sat and talked and watched movies, and I knit mindlessly on the shawl. By Sunday morning I looked at it in the bright light of day and it struck me that I am crazy to just keep knitting! Why do I think it is going to improve with more length? It is not. I need to rip it out and make something completely different with the handspun yarn. If I could just bring myself to do it and give the yarn a new chance. here I go.........

4 comments:

Yarnhog said...

If you don't love it, rip it. Fast, like a Band-Aid. You'll still love the yarn, and be able to knit it again into something beautiful.

Olga said...

That yarn is beautiful, it would be a crime to make something you'd never use or like.

Ceallach said...

Ribit ribit.

Hey there, someone asked about the impact of washing napkins so I answered them, but want you to know I am not picking on you, but just dealing with the topic.

;-)

Ceallach said...

Yay, thanks for the backup!